Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted-- little pistols

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted-- little pistols
From: Geoffrey Way <wayg@cape-vision.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:36:07 -0500
Ron wrote:

"How do we make it interesting for these "little" guns?"

I have made this suggestion on an individual level to at least one organizer, but I'm going public with it now:

I propose contest organizers consider placing a limit on the percentage of contacts made by "running", or limit the number of hours of time spent running.

This is a VERY enforceable rule since most logs show the actual operating frequency of the contacts. There are enough logs submitted with frequency data that it may even be possible to reverse-engineer the frequencies of logs that don't have that data as well.

Case in point: review the fastest run rates for 2012 CQWW Phone M/2 at pileup.ru. The 340 rate I helped put up at KM1W was the fastest hourly rate for any contiguous US station, yet half an hour of the 15m QSOs were S&P.

We all know how awful it is to tune around at 1800z on the second day of a 48-hour contest and the band is filled with big guns all calling CQ with no takers. If more second-tier stations were able to establish running, I bet we'd get 20% more combined total contacts in the entire event, because those folks would operate more. And there's a LOT more of them than the big-guns tying up the bands and effectively pre-empting them from getting a run going. I believe this stifles the smaller stations.

-- KA1IOR

 "Style is a simple way of saying complicated things."  --J. Cocteau

              \    /
                 /
              ======
           \  |    |   ---Tao.   A chinese character that
           -- |----|                means "Way, Path."
            / |----|
            \ |____|
            /_________                  Geoffrey Way