Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-Assisted vs. Assisted

To: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Non-Assisted vs. Assisted
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 10:52:57 -0600
Martin,

Local church sign says "Worry is a total waste of imagination".  I think
there is too much worry over whether someone might have done something to
cheat and not enough time spent trying to improve the efficiency of the
radio station and operator combination..

There will always be cheaters and there will always be some level of
enforcement for the purpose of minimizing the cheating.  On April 15 the
income taxes are due in the US and the Internal Revenue Service has the
ability to audit any return.  The higher the income and the more claimed as
deductions from taxable income, the more likely it will be audited.  The
threat of the penalties including the possibility of going to jail is
enough to keep most people honest.  A good audit on the top scores in a
radio contest and severe penalties for intentional cheating will accomplish
the same thing.

The only statements I cannot accept from some have to do with assistance
being something that would cause one's score to be lower.  As you mentioned
you have to be careful how you use it.  That is sure, just the same as you
have to be careful when you decide to go to sleep and how long to sleep and
where to point your antenna when the band is open to Europe from the USA,
etc..  If someone cannot control themselves - realize they have never
worked a 4S7 on 15m CW, switch from contesting to DXing, and stay in a
pile-up for an hour when the guy is S4 and working Europe at 150 per hour -
they would have been better off not having the assistance and hoping they
did not stumble across the 4S7.

However, an SO2R operator on CW with Skimmer (and it should be a given that
he has a good station that can break pileups) can work nearly every new
multiplier that shows up on the other band instead of tuning around working
a lot of duplicate countries and occasionally stumbling over a new
multiplier.  This is a huge advantage, and it doesn't matter where you are
located on the globe in order to realize that advantage.  There will be
plenty of entrants, if everyone were allowed to use assistance, who will
use it wisely and maximize the score.  The winning scores will, almost
without exception, be higher than any of the scores from ones who did not
have assistance.

Your command of the English language is great!  I'm sure it is somewhat of
a struggle to correspond in an language that is not your primary one.  I
wish I had a second language.

Adios...Stan, K5GO

.