Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer accuracy...

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer accuracy...
From: "Shane Mattson-->K1ZR" <k1zr@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 18:48:29 +0000 (UTC)

One of my main concerns, as mentioned in my original post, is that several
skimmers interpreted K0ZR as K1ZR thus making appear as if was operating on
Sunday.  If I had been operating on the same band at the same time as K0ZR
would I be flagged for duel CQing on the same band?  I appreciate the skimmer
technology and have great respect for those responsible for it's
development.  From a selfish standpoint I love being spotted and can deal with
the massive influx of zero beaters as long I can keep the rate up.  My concern
is related more to how the RBN data is used (if at all) by the
contest organizers when auditing certain aspects of an entrants operation to
help crack down on dishonest participants.  With human induced cluster
spots it's more acceptable to discount a bad spot due to someone improperly
copying the call and/or fat fingering the entry.  With the skimmer, one may
assume that if it detected callsign than it must be a more probable spot.  I
think we need to take a closer look at the way in which the spots are
represented such as an accuracy or probability index.  I really don't know what
the right answer is....many of you donate your valuable time and talent to the
contesting community and many of us tend to take what you have developed for
granted and provide negative feedback without proposing a solution.  I
certainly hope that stations using RBN data take the time to validate a spot by
copying the callsign before logging the qso, however I'm certain this isn't
happening as frequently as it should.  I'm sure that several stations
logged K0ZR as K1ZR last Sunday, and if I had actually been active, running on
the band, I may have been passed over by a station that logged my call sign
earlier when they had actually worked K0ZR from a skimmer spot.

I'm curious to know what percentage of cluster spots represent skimmer vs
manually inputted during a 48 hour DX contest.  Does anyone have those metrics?

-Shane