Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer accuracy...

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer accuracy...
From: "Jack Haverty." <k3fiv@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:04:59 -0800
Sure, glad to help.   It would be interesting to see what can be done with
today's computer power.

The project I mentioned was done in a university lab environment.  We
(staff) created the hardware/software platform, and then a stream of
students could build various new modules that plugged in to add new
"opinions".  It was good for term projects, theses, etc.

One class of modules was "identity" functions - software that tried to
identify (i.e., "spot") the operator and/or station  that was sending each
particular Morse signal.  Various modules used all sorts of measurements to
"fingerprint" a signal - things like dot/dash ratio, shape of keying
envelope, hum/chirp characteristics, spectrum shape, presence of artifacts
like aurora flutter, etc.  Anything we could think of that a human op might
use to identify an op on the band was fair game to capture in software
form.   Once an identity (like a callsign) was determined, it was  saved
with the fingerprint for future use.

With such modules in place, the software could identify a station/operator
even though they never sent a callsign at all.   It was fun to tell the
machine to "go find K3FIV on 15 meters" and watch it methodically scan the
band, pausing briefly to "listen" to each signal in turn and compare in its
fingerprint database to the K3FIV fingerprint, and then report where K3FIV
was, and how confident it was of that opinion.

A lot of this just might also be applicable to voice now, since computers
are so much more capable.   SSB Skimmer anyone...?

If Alex is interested in this ancient history, we should probably take it
offline and I can describe what I remember.

73,
/Jack