Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why few "odd" mults around
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 02:38:42 +0000
AB1J commented on ex-VR2BG's suggestion:

> Why do half of the JA stations choose to skip ARRL DX?
Because just working you lot is boring.

I agree with this, which is why the ARRL DX has never been one of my
favorite contests. It lacks the excitement of a true world-wide contest. It is
basically an North Atlantic rim-Caribbean-South American contest.

And that coming from a W1. ARRL DX is a everybody-works-you-lot contest. You are closer to a much more populated & active part of the world that has to work YOU - EU - and it lacks excitement?

And the same thing is true of me for the WAE CW and Phone. Not only is it
boring, but they want QTCs too. Are people never satisified?

I'm originally ex-W7 & again, a W1 saying that simply does not compute. I wouldn't be surprised if the Black Holers think Kermit's a nutter. ;^)

Fantastic example here of how where we are influences how we see things. JAs have longer openings to NA than we do in VR & I believe those openings will be shorter/harder the further into Asia one goes. Unless we have some particular interest in working W/VE, in the overall balance of things, there's better things to do on ARRL DX weekends. Hence activity suffers.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.