Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 21:49:53 -0500
Bret, I am a little puzzled by your complaint. When you refer to "wrong-frequency spots" are you referring to spots that vary by 0.1-0.2 KHz, or to imagesequidistant from the center frequency of a given receiver? If the former, you should be aware that each receiver on the RBN is separately calibrated, and we notify the operators any time we see spots that are more than that amount off one of a number of reference stations.

It is true that I/Q receivers feeding sound cards for digitization are prone to images spaced equidistant from the center frequency, but this is not generally true with direct down-conversion designs such as the QS1R. We had a couple of exceptions during ARRL CW, and we are trying to understand what made them different from the other 70 or so identical receivers that did not have the problem.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.