Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:33:56 +0000
N4ZR said:

Bret, I am a little puzzled by your complaint. When you refer to
"wrong-frequency spots" are you referring to spots that vary by 0.1-0.2
KHz, or to imagesequidistant from the center frequency of a given
receiver? If the former, you should be aware that each receiver on the
RBN is separately calibrated, and we notify the operators any time we
see spots that are more than that amount off one of a number of
reference stations.

It is no surprise to me that you are puzzled Pete, as I have made no complaint.

I have merely pointed out that RBN has a lot of wrong-freq spots.

The example of UA9CDC might have been Igor CQing on three different bands over just a few minutes time - or maybe not. It was just a coincidence that one of my queries found him when I went back to look at the data to find something to add to my reply to his post about another explanation for same-band-wrong-freq RBN spots (station with fecal signal actually on multiple frequencies).

I suggest you re-read what I had previously posted. This isn't about spots spread over a few hundred cycles.

It is true that I/Q receivers feeding sound cards for digitization are
prone to images spaced equidistant from the center frequency, but this
is not generally true with direct down-conversion designs such as the
QS1R. We had a couple of exceptions during ARRL CW, and we are trying
to understand what made them different from the other 70 or so identical
receivers that did not have the problem.

That is only one of the mechanisms behind wrong-freq RBN spots that I can see. I/Q inbalance has nothing to do with, for example, some skimmers spotting the same call on a completely different band than other skimmers. And based on what some skimmers are said to be using, DS has some of the same problems of QSD-based receivers. All receivers have spurious responses. Skimmer doesn't know better & spots them all.

Here is some more data. On 2012-09-21, there were 151 RBN spots of the same call but on another frequency >3 kc away on the same band at exactly the same time (to the second) as another skimmer spot. For this query, I can avoid "dupes", so opening that up to spots of the same call >3 kc apart on the same band within about 9 seconds of each other finds 369.

That is just one mechanism. Spots of same call on different band on the very same second look to have been 140. That's already 0.3% of RBN spots that day & that will exclude a LOT of wrong-band spots. Add busted call spots & who-knows-how-many busted call wrong-band or wrong-freq spots & then scale all this up by some factor as activity is much higher on weekends (I'm working with weekday data here, as it makes it easier to find wrong-band spots as no multi-multis on then) - I believe RBN could be blowing 1-2% of what it spots, perhaps more.

GL, ex-VR2BG/p.