Re: [CQ-Contest] Different Location,

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Different Location,
From: Jim Preston <jpreston1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 11:46:34 -0800
Joe,

It has been that way for many years. One reason for doing it that way is so other stations will know what country you are in without having to hear the rest of your call. If I'm operating from Hawaii in the ARRL DX contest, for example, and send N6VH/KH6, some stateside stations would tune past me as soon as they heard N6.

There is at least one exception - US hams operating in Canada have to sign the VE + call area after their call, and Canadian hams have to sign the W + call area after their call. This is required by a treaty between the two countries.

73,

Jim N6VH