Re: [CQ-Contest] I just will not send in logs.

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] I just will not send in logs.
From: Hank Greeb <hgreeb@one.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 17:56:50 -0400
Charly:

I look at it this way.

I operate the way I choose. Personally, I choose to operate with what many would consider a "boat anchor" (Drake TR-5 or TR-7) cranked down to 5 watts, and have a "cloud warmer" for antenna {a 130 feet (40 meters) long dipole), fed with 400 ohm "ladder line" configured as an Inverted V with apex at ~30' (10 meters) and ends at about 10' (3 meters)}. Yes, I have a 60' windmill tower which was given to me by the estate of a ham, a 3 element 20 meter Yagi and a 4 element 10 meter Yagi from the same source, but they remain laying on the ground because I see no reason to install them.

Do I beat a fellow down the road who has a 199' tower with stacked multi-element yagis on 10 through 40 meters, a quarter wave 160 meter vertical antenna (yes, ~135 feet (40 meter), a 3 element steerable vertical yagi for 80 meters? This fellow runs maximum legal power? The whole setup probably costs more than US $200,000.

Some of my contest friends laugh at my setup - tell me that "life is too short for QRP" - and say other "interesting things" about my choice.

My goal is to do the very best I can. If others wish to violate rules by using skimmers or DX clusters and claiming unassisted, that's their problem. I generally try to do better than my previous score for a given contest. I DO submit my log, regardless of how few or how many Q's are in it.

I'd LOVE to work a HSØ station, so if you're on between contests, or don't have a giant pileup on you during a contest, I'll try to squeak my "pipsqueak signal" through the cacophony of callers.

Hang in there OM, and remember, this is supposed to be fun! As someone told me "Illegitimi non carborundum" which is a mock-Latin aphorism meaning "Don't let the bastards grind you down" Whenever I operate, I try to have fun!

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time