Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 08:14:21 -0400
Personally, I am not opposed to "adding another category" if doing so adds
to the enjoyment of all.  However, it is the sponsors who shoulder the
burden of doing so.  I share K5GO's argument that it should be "put up or
shut up" time for those so inclined.  The sponsors should be skeptical, in
my opinion, of people with comments and change requests, who are not active
in the game stating that such and such good thing is going to happen but not
demonstrating such.

I would advocate that the upcoming contest season should be "demonstration
time" for all such enthusiasts that are looking for some other "lower
stress" category.  Enter all the contests that you would plan to and run 24
hours (or some other time) and send the info in your soapbox and post on
3830 to show what you are doing.  Of course if the sponsors see increased
activity and 25 - 50 people all bunched up at 24 hours it cannot be ignored.
Since you are the ones asking for change.the burden should be on you to
demonstrate.not others to do so merely out of opinion and complaint.

Since I don't operate SS much, I almost never see most of the advocates in
any of my contest logs.and I average over 10,000 Qs a year in the
majors..that should tell you something.  Of course many will say.well I
would be motivated if there were an 8 - 10 - 12 24 hour category or could
change my callsign 2 or 3 times during the contest to be "fresh".  Fine.time
to show everyone.

By the way, those commenting that a marathon is ONLY 3 hours and doesn't
count.have never trained for one or know anyone who does.  Those competitive
or even reasonably serious marathoners have put in 20+ hours a week in
training for 12 - 20 weeks prior to running the marathon.  Even some of us
"iron butt" folks would be dropping out from that activity if we had to
train like a marathoner for "game day".

73, Ed  N1UR