[CQ-Contest] Yaesu G-450 Rotor question

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Yaesu G-450 Rotor question
From: KU7Y <ku7y.cw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:51:14 -0700
I have been given a G-450 rotor that has a problem.

The indicator needle acts like it has a mind of it's own! Sometimes it track the rotor, for several degrees and then stop. Sometimes it will just sit there "shaking" back and forth between CCW and CW. Sometimes it will go from CCW to CW while the rotor is still moving in the CCW direction. There is no pattern to what it does. At least none that I can spot.

The rotor part turns as it should.

I have checked, with an ohm meter, both pots. Then both change resistance as they should with no jumping around. All wires check out OK.

Has anyone else seen something like this and if so, what was the fix? I really don't want to spend the money sending it back Yasue for repair!!

And all I have left to trouble shoot with is normal multi meters.

Thanks for any hints....

OK, back in my hole,

Ron, KU7Y
SOWP 5545M