Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules and SCP

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules and SCP
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:53:20 -0600
A few comments, inline...

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 06/17/2013 02:48 PM, Richard F DiDonna NN3W wrote:
I'm having a slight issue with one thing you've written Bob. You wrote
that it is "not OK to go back and correct this after the fact." This
seems at odds with what I have heard stations say for years: namely that
if you make a change during the contest in in the minutes immediately
after the contest, its OK.

I have always subscribed to the philosophy that the only changes I can make to the log after the contest were those mistakes I noted during the contest. I keep a scratch pad and pen handy during the contest for just this purpose.

Then we have this proposed rule:

19. Correction of logged call signs by using any database ... is not allowed.

When you use SCP, you are using a database. This would make using SCP a rules violation.

 Indeed, in WRTC, you're allowed 30 minutes to
make corrections and to enter in any notes that you made during the
contest.

Only from those notes you made during the contest. If, after the contest, you noticed that you logged P04W instead of P40W, you're out of luck - it wasn't on the notes you made during the contest.

Two examples come to mind:
in CQWW, you work HG108DX on one band but you entered the call into your
log as HG109DX. You work him three hours later on a different band yet
your worked call history shows you have never worked HG108DX, but you
KNOW you worked him. A quick scan of partials indicates you purportedly
worked HG109DX, but you know now this to be wrong. My understanding is
that you've always been able to make this correction during the contest.

We have this existing (but recent) rule:

13. Call signs logged must be the same as those exchanged over the air by the entrants during the QSO.

As part of "situational awareness", when I am running I try to look at several previous QSO's in the log. Sometimes I discover a mistake in the log, and correct it. To meet the letter-of-the-law, I send the corrected callsign and TU. This may happen several minutes later.

This rule only applies when I am running. I don't send the call of the other station on S&P QSO's. This recent rule is all the more reason to not send the other station's call.