Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contesting - A Summary

To: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Control in Contesting - A Summary
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:29:10 -0400
I figured you would not answer the question.  Anyway, I have no particular
aversion with W2LC's assertion, other than we don't need new rules -- the
rules already state that you must be appropriately licensed.
in the country the station is located. If you don't have the license,
you'll get disqualified from a contest.  I'd bet in a good number of
countries, there is nothing in the regulations that say you have to be
physically present in the country to operate -- you just have to have a
license.   This, as you well know, is because it takes a long time for the
licensing authority to catch up on changes in technology.   If it's not in
the law, you can't be breaking it, right?  So, until the time the law
changes, you'll see remote operatrions across DXCC borders.   You know that
some Finns have already done this.

Since we have many proactive contesters among those who help to formulate
regulation, I don't think you'll see them generating any language that
would prevent remote operation across borders.  Yes, some repressive
countries will prevent it, but many will not.  At least that's my
prediction.

You say:
"If what you're doing can't be done without an
engine, then what you're doing can't be sailing,
or gliding or cycling."

Rephrased:
"If what your doing can't be done without RF generated and received in the
Amateur Bands, then what your doing cannot be called Amateur Radio."

You've proved my point with your own statement.

73, Gerry W1VE