Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

To: "'Martin , LU5DX'" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 08:13:30 -0500
The rules do not say "Monitoring one's own signal has nothing to do with QSO
alerting assistance".

The rules are very clear about *defining the types of systems* that are
prohibited. The rule is *not describing a narrow definition of how these
systems can be used* at all.

The rule and definition strictly define those systems that *are prohibited*.

It specifically precludes "the use of" these systems. It does not say that
you can use them only for certain purposes. There is no exception for
different uses listed - there is certainly no mention of an exclusion for
"monitoring one's own signal".

While "Monitoring one's own signal" might be another facet of the RBN, the
rules make very clear that the USE of the RBN is prohibited.

Let's break it down:

The *DEFINITION* says: "The use of any technology or other source that
provides call sign or multiplier identification along with frequency
information to the operator".

Clearly, this is what the RBN does - and what Skimmer, yes even what "Blind"
Skimmer does also. RBN AND Skimmer are therefore prohibited in their
entirety. No exception listed here.

Then it says: "It includes, but is not limited to, use of DX cluster,
packet, local or remote call sign and frequency decoding technology (e.g.,
CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network), or operating arrangements involving
other individuals".

By name, the *Reverse Beacon Network* AND *Skimmer* are specifically listed
as prohibited for single operators. How can one deny that they are
prohibited?

Where the exception to the total prohibition of these technologies in the
rules?

Where does it say, "in an exception to the assistance rule, you can use
these systems to monitor your own signal".  It does not say that.

There is nothing in the rules to back up your claim of *any* allowance for
the use of RBN by Single Operators.

This points out that perhaps Martin is correct about one thing and that is
that the rule needs to be even more strongly worded to preclude any baseless
interpretations like this.

W5OV