Re: [CQ-Contest] Really big RF out

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Really big RF out
From: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:43:18 -0400
Charlie may be right in part, but I know of plenty of wealthy hams in the US and Canada who can afford to buy anything they might want including high power amps, but choose to operate within the law and the rules of the various contests and to let our word be our bond. I choose to believe that is true of the majority of North American contesters regardless of their wealth or means. If it were not the case, I'd find contesting much less fun. I guess you guys are saying I wouldn't enjoy trying to be a competitive contester in certain other parts of the world. I'd certainly not suggest that rules be changed to permit or recognize illegal operations according to the law of the licensing authority and hope that the 1500W limit will remain in spite of what law might allow somewhere.

I do notice that there is a Russian/LY contest tomorrow where the rules recognize three power categories. This is called the KPC contest. The power categories are: up to 100W = LP; up to 1000 watts = HP. Over 1000 watts without limit = S, for super power, I guess. The rules actually say "No Limit." So I guess one contest has set up a separate power category for those running illegal power, but that will also include those legally running more than 1,000 watts, such as those running 1,500 watts output in the US. So, I commend this contest to all illegal "S" power stations.

73, John, K4BAI.