Re: [CQ-Contest] Ethics of operating overtime in SS

To: Rex Maner <k7qq@netzero.net>, 'Art Boyars' <artboyars@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ethics of operating overtime in SS
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:48:43 -0500
Hi Art,

Glad to have you visit us. Hope you have a good contest.

What you propose, however...

It's against the rules. Sorry.
Plain and simple. The rules clearly state that off time means without
operating. It doesn't say 'without operating FOR CREDIT'. Any time you're
not operating is off time, before, during or after you've exhausted your 24
hours.

The 24-hour restriction isn't about letting stations work the entire contest
and then claim only the best 24 hours. Nor is it about letting stations keep
their receivers on during the 'off time' so as to not miss an opening.

It's about incorporating an element of station and propagation knowledge and
strategy.

Even though that is not what you propose, I think the optics between being
charitable to those needing VE4 and cherry-picking would be difficult to
discern and, in the end, irrelevant.

That being said: assuming the operator uses a different transmitter (Rule
3.5, general rules), there's nothing stopping someone who was NOT an
operator for the EA multiop effort, from firing up when you're not on the
air.

(Rule 3.5 prohibits using the same transmitter under more than one callsign
(except in family situations). It doesn't say the rest of the station can't
be used.)

Nor is there a prohibition on a VE4EA op from relocating to VE4GV's place
and starting an entirely new operation at the new location. (Rule 3.2 says
you can't use more than one callsign from any given location. A new given
location resets that restriction, but of course it can't be for the purposes
of furthering the VE4EA log.) The reason for 3.2 and 3.5, as clearly stated
in the rules, is to prohibit operators from manufacturing contacts for their
own operations. As long as you aren't doing that, which you wouldn't be
since VE4EA would then be off the air, you're good.

I would also argue that the 24-hour restriction means anyone who can't work
VE4EA during EA's 24 hours doesn't deserve to work EA, irrespective of
whether that that means they don't get a sweep.

73, kelly
ve4xt