Re: [CQ-Contest] Ethics of operating overtime in SS

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Ethics of operating overtime in SS
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 22:19:26 -0600
It harms no one?

Anyone working guys after 24 hours is giving out "phantom" points that should not count. So VE4 or any one should be able to continue to give out that mult and/or points after their time has expired?

Lets say K0EU worked VE4AA and both were in their allotted 24 hour periods. VE4AA continues to operate over the allotted 24 hours and K7BG still needed VE4 and finds VE4AA and works him. VE4AA is the only VE4 in K7BG's log.

K7BG ends up beating K0EU in the end  by a few points and nobody is harmed?

The rules clearly state to operate 24 hours. End of story. It does not say stay on and continue to hand out one sided points. Contacts made after your 24 hour period is over should not count for either party as you are clearly operating outside the rules the way they are currently written. After 24 hours are up YOUR contest period is over, done, finished.

I am quite surprised to read that K5ZD operates 5 to 10 minutes longer to make sure he gets his 1440 minutes in. Does that mean it is ok to operate CQ WW till around 0010 then? What exactly is the difference? If your contest period is over it is over. Obviously, the CQ WW ends for everyone at 0000z. Our computers are able to calculate time very accurately, how did we manage when we did this on paper?

Car races end after X laps by the car finishing first, they do not continue on till the car that is down 20 laps finishes the other 20 laps with all the other cars still running around the track racing.

DQ? A bit harsh but maybe not if the Qso's made after the time period are removed from your log and you lose by a qso that was wasted working someone who really should not be operating anymore.

What do you do? You don't ignore the rules because the log checking program just tosses out one side of contacts made outside the allotted 24 hours.

The problem is that not everyone in the contest is really in the contest. I could go to KP2A with a bunch of guys and we chose to operate KP2A Multi-Multi for 30 hours and don't submit a score so there is no problem right? Those submitting a log to be considered for scoring should follow each and every rule.

When people interpret clearly written rules like this to meet their own objectives does it really surprise people when others are trying to stretch the rules?

I never realized there were the written rules and then a bunch of rules only known to those who do the log checking, etc.......... The rules don't seem to reflect reality.

Mike W0MU