Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring System needs revision?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring System needs revision?
From: K6OK <jvarn359@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:11:50 -0800
Dave AB7E wrote

>>I wonder how many contesters are actually AGAINST distance-based scoring
for major contests, and what their reasons would  be.<<

Distance alone is not well correlated with QSO difficulty nor the length of
openings between any given grid pair.  It is possible, IMHO, to develop a
contest rubric that would achieve truly balanced scoring on a global scale,
but the algorithms to get there are multivariate and complex.

I think simple distance-weighted scoring would do more harm than good if it
creates the illusion of fairer scoring when all it really does is create
more unbalanced scoring. The only change would be results unbalanced and
skewed in a different way than what we have now.

73 Jim K6OK