Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Teams

To: Steve Lott <lottsphoto@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Teams
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:01:50 -0500
Steve,

I agree.  CQ had (and has) the right idea with overlays, and this could
have continued as an overlay.  I think the extreme category was important
as as incentive for innovation with a proving ground consisting of
thousands of others on the air at the same time with a forum for
publicizing idea(s) and result(s), unlike starting a new contest or trying
something on any old weekend.  Worthwhile innovation is not a function of
initial popularity.  Experimentation of this nature now requires a check
log rather than entry, and the incentive and forum for publicity among
likely adopters is diminished.

But -- whether it is scoring or technical rules -- one can solicit
like-minded participants to submit their log(s) to an unofficial organizer
volunteer and publicize the results in addition to submitting to CQ as an
entry or check log (as appropriate).  This is a way to gauge true interest,
prove concepts, and fine-tune either scoring rules or technical operational
rules based upon actual experience.  True substantial interest and support
will become apparent through this process and actual changes to the
official contest rules will be more likely if there is a demonstrable base
of support instead of what could be viewed as armchair bellyaching.

Dave K3ZJ