Re: [CQ-Contest] Challenges vs Teams

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Challenges vs Teams
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:18:51 -0500
I have been talking with a few contest friends about the team idea.  We
were trying to come up with a really cool team implementation that would
play in the current contest structure, with very minor modification and no
real logger changes.

How about this: SOTA:  Single-Op Team Assisted.   These are two single-ops
as a team.  Team Members can be from anywhere.   The team members are
interconnected on the internet, and can pass stations to each other.   They
use their own calls.   They would be Assisted because they can share
passes, and they can use Spots.   They could have a power overlay.   An
additional cabrillo line identifies the team.   All QSOs allowed per host
contest rules.
No on-air team id -- but perhaps teams could be tracked by real-time web
site.

Can  two Americans, one from the west and one from the east beat a team
from Europe and Asia?
Can VY2 + D4 beat OH + 3V?

These and many other combinations that could be tested.

The reason for only two-man teams?   It's easy to start with, and
simplifies the rules.

73, Gerry W1VE.