[CQ-Contest] Antenna Wire Source

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Antenna Wire Source
From: "Robert Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:35:34 -0500
Hi Tom,

I have used all types of wire in all different sizes.  #12 is best but #14
works well too.  I prefer stranded but have no
problem with solid.  I use coated wire only as it prolongs life (less rust) and
is quieter than bare wire.  #16 is too
thin for surviving ice and wind.

In 2008, before becoming seriously ill,  I planned to build an 80 meter
4-square and use 120 radials.  That meant that
I had to find a LOT of wire that would not rust away in the wet and acidic New
England soil.

Typical ham radio sources of wire were cost-prohibitive, even for 5000’ and up
of wire.  So I decided to look at
non-typical sources and I discovered that you can negotiate prices with Lowe’s
on some items (unlike with Home Depot).

Even with copper selling at over $4 a pound at that time, I negotiated buying
6,000’ of their coated #14 solid
for less than 3c per foot, on 12  500’ spools.  Contrast that with the #13 poly
of Wireman than I paid 13c/foot back in 2005.
No comparison!

73 and GL!
Bob KQ2M

kq2m@kq2m.com