Re: [CQ-Contest] antenna setup question

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] antenna setup question
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:27:55 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Timon,

Pete's email reminds me of K3NA's excellent eight part series in NCJ
from 2003-2005 describing Yagi performance degradations caused by
multiple Yagis installed on the same tower and on multiple towers.
While many contesters are aware of performance degradations caused
by close spaced Yagis on the same tower, we often forget about
performance degradations caused by Yagis on nearby towers.

Among other things, Eric made us aware of performance degradations
when:
- a Yagi points through a Yagi for the same band on a nearby tower ,
- a 10 meter Yagi points through 15 meter Yagi on a nearby tower,
- a 15 meter Yagi points through a full sized 40 meter Yagi
on a nearby tower.

Eric showed that performance degradations among Yagis installed on
nearby towers is significant when the towers are spaced less than
about five wavelengths apart (350 feet at 14 MHz). According to
Eric's performance modelling, degradation doesn't become
insignificant until tower spacings are greater than about ten
wavelengths (700 feet at 14 MHz).

Multi-band Yagis are much worse, because they cause performance
degradations to Yagis on nearby towers on many bands. I usually
discourage hams from installing them unless thay can be installed
far away from higher performance monoband Yagis.

Some of you have heard me say that a contester can never have too
many antennas... unless (and this is important) they are too close to
each other.

Timon's towers are only one wavelength apart on 40 meters, two
wavelengths apart at 14 MHz and four wavelengths apart on 10 meters.
His Yagis on multiple towers will be much more closely spaced
(especially on 40 and 20 meters) than 40 meters because of their
boom lengths.

My recommendation for his four towers is that he analyze all of the
interactions when each Yagi points through another Yagi on another
tower. His plan to install multi-band Yagis on three of his towers will
surely cause significant degradation of the performance of his high
performance stacked monoband Yagis and he should seriously
reconsider that plan.

The most serious degradation in his proposed antenna system will be
caused by his two 40 meter Yagis that will be spaced much less than
one wavelength apart when boom lengths are taken into consideration.
A better plan is to stack his 40 meter Yagis on the same tower with
each Yagi independently rotatable.

My recommendation is that Timon start with each each of his four towers
dedicated to a single band, this produces the least degradation among
Yagis on multiple towers. After this initial installation is completed,
additional antennas can be added and the resulting performance
degradations can then be evaluated.

73
Frank
W3LPL