Re: [CQ-Contest] Chasing W1AW Stations

To: "w1ve@yccc.org" <w1ve@yccc.org>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Chasing W1AW Stations
From: <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 08:15:46 -0500
Copying what was sent has to have limits. If you're walking a casual op through
an SS exchange and you ask him his power (to determine his PREC), and he
responds 1kw, do you put 1kw in the PREC entry or do you translate it to B? If
you're on phone, do you log Mexico Lima or just type in ML?

And if it's ok to translate phonetics, why is it wrong to translate cut numbers?

If he doesn't know his section, but tells you he's in Marin County, do you
enter Marin, knowing its not a section, or do you put in SF? If he says you're
his first, do you log "first" or enter 1?

If someone sends leading zeroes, do you log them or is it just Q no. 37? What
if your logger is smart enough to do its own zero-ectomy?

I agree 200% that you should use what was sent to formulate your log entry. And
that you use auto fill and SCP at your peril.

I do not believe, though, that one should be a mindless automaton about it.

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPad