Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] History of Low Power Category
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:22:02 -0400
A few comments on this ever expanding topic.

I believe the CQWW 160 contests also have a 150W power limit now, if I am
not mistaken.  I personally think the extra 50W does matter but honestly
whichever it is, I'll comply to.

The NAQP contest rule on connected amplifiers makes no sense at all.

Someone said that Field Day is limited to 100W.  Really?  Where is that in
the rules?  I must have missed it.  I always thought it was standard ARRL
Low Power with max 150W output for the 2x multiplier of score.  I don't
think I ever was competitive in that category so it probably doesn't matter
but probably goofed if so.

I think the whole restricted covenant and condo crowd should aim their
energy at remote contesting and/or creating a private overlay contest
category to compete among like-minded individuals.  A quick posting on this
forum and setting up a yahoo group or something would kick it off.

Finally, relative to location.  No location is great for every contest (at
least in the US).  Being on an East Coast island will not win you
sweepstakes, sprint, or NAQP.  Pick the contest that favors your location
and go all out.  Accept that potentially your location may not win CQWW any
more than mine in Vermont will win Sweepstakes.

Ed  N1UR