Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contestest or Dxpeditions

To: "'Ed Richardson'" <ed_richardson@shaw.ca>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contestest or Dxpeditions
From: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 15:02:46 -0500
First, I recommend you carry the equipment on the plane, if at all possible.
If that is not possible, pack it with lots of surrounding clothing for extra
padding.

It is always best to have a "ham on the ground" at your destination.  That
ham can meet you at the airport and help explain the use to the local
customs authorities.  This ham may also assist in obtaining a local call
sign.

Look on the Internet for problem areas in the country you are planning to
visit.  Once I considered going to St Lucia, but after reading stories of
equipment confiscation, decided not to go.

Be prepared to pay extra fees for excess baggage.  If you are a good
negotiator, you may get certain fees waived.

73, Keith NM5G
VP8DXL, 9H3KD, NM5G/HK0, YN2MG