Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions

To: "James Cain" <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contests or Dxpeditions
From: w5ov@w5ov.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 16:43:19 -0500
As is most often the case, Jim is right on this.

Being calm, and not making a big deal out of what you're doing is the best
way to slip through without causing any concerns.  If you're nervous and
all worried about it, those geniuses behind the counter will sense it, and
put you through all sorts of hoops since they are likely to be totally
clueless about ham radio. Don't offer *any* information unless
specifically asked for it.

**Don't hand them your radio documentation without being asked for it.**

If you tell them something they don't understand, they'll begin to ask
more questions to try to seem like they do know what you're talking about
and all that will do is delay you and cause further frustration, which
again, once they sense that, they'll pounce on it.

I have found that having all of my stuff packed inside normal travel
suitcases minimizes the amount of attention they get.  While having a
heavy-duty "Anvil" case or other may seem prudent to protect your valuable
equipment, customs agents know that stuff that's worth a lot of money is
transported in such a case and they'll be more likely to look at something
in one of those industrial cases rather than in something from Samsonite
or American Tourister (for just two examples).

Look like you're on vacation without a care in the world, and they'll most
likely just wave you on through.  What are you in their country for?
Vacation!

73,

Bob W5OV
V26O, PJ4/W5OV