Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: <k9yc@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 01:06:23 -0000
It is true that some rigs (depending on how they are operated) can produce
signals that appear wider than normal.  Can you think of a way to express
this in technical terms rather than using a K3 as a reference.  Contesting
needs to have a dialog around what is the accepted standard for signal width
or "cleanliness".

What test equipment would some use to evaluate their own signal in the
shack?

What would be a good test standard for someone listening to capture the
essence of the signal quality?

Randy, K5ZD