Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 07:29:57 -0400
You got that right, Bob. The RTTY Skimmer case is simple by comparison. An individual RBN Skimmer may handle 50-60,000 spots during a CQWW weekend. now imagine how much overhead would be required for each of them to process each one of those signals across a 5-10 KHz bandwidth to determine whether it is too broad, rather than sticking to a single 50-Hz decoding channel. I'd put this one in the same unattainable class as the SSB Skimmer, at least until we all have supercomputers in the shack.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.