Re: [CQ-Contest] Entry Class -- CQWW Classic Overlay As It Should Be

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Entry Class -- CQWW Classic Overlay As It Should Be
From: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:56:56 -0700
Hi Syl

Thanks for the clarification. Hard to believe I was wrong in my thinking :-) 73
Tom W7WHY

On 10/20/2014 4:29 AM, VE5ZX wrote:

Tom

Just a bit of background

The idea for the 24-hour category came from an article that Pete & Mike wrote more than 10 years ago in 2003 on contesting.com titled "The 24-Hour DX Challenge".

http://www.contesting.com/articles/401

and a survey that was taken at the same time

http://www.contesting.com/survey/95

The ensuring discussions that took take over the intervening 10 years also suggested and assumed that the 24-hour DX challenge would allow spots as the focus was to encourage more participation in contests and allow a participant to do the best they could from their QTH. The idea was picked up by CQWW and consequently given the name of a Classic class with an 24-hour overlay without spots allowed. The original intent as proposed was never 'Just a boy and his radio'

BTW - Pete - I will join you in the "Classic-As-It-Should-Be category, with spotting assistance" during the CQWW CW portion as I am going to VE5RI to do a multi-multi in the SSB contest

Syl - VE5ZX