Re: [CQ-Contest] 10/15 interaction

To: "reflector cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10/15 interaction
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll.dave@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:48:43 -0700
The problem is that too much 10M energy is coming down the 15M feedline. Adding additional filtering to the 10M transmitter won't solve that problem. What you need is more filtering on the 15M feedline to reject the 10M RF. The first thing I would try is a coax stub on the 15M feedline. Try a 1/4 wave 40M shorted stub, about 23' long, made from RG-213. A stub like that will pass 40 and 15, and will reject 20 and 10. Tune it with a GDO, optimizing it for 10M.

I have a Ten-Tec amplifier whose QSK circuit trips when another amp is transmitting on 20, and that exact stub cured the problem. That amp is only used on 15 and 40, so the stub works out fine.

It is also possible that the length of the feedline on the 15 just happens to tune the 15 driven element to 10 meters. Try adding 1/8 wavelength (at 28MHz) of feedline to the 15M feedline. That's about 4 feet.

You could also buy another 15 meter receive filter, and cascade it with the other one. I conducted such an experiment one time, and the additional rejection was significant, but not 2X. As I remember, it was about 1.5X.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

-----Original Message----- From: Randall K Martin