Re: [CQ-Contest] No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No more Unassisted in ARRL VHF Contests?
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:45:02 -0600
This rules change was recommended by a VHF-UHF advisory committee. It
probably will have no bearing on HF contests.

VHF+ contesting is not anything like HF contesting. I'm a VHF+ contester.
Beam patterns are very narrow (maybe 15-20 degrees on 432 MHz and 2 degrees
for a typical 10 GHz antenna) and you very very rarely make random contacts
on bands above 432 MHz. The higher bands require either working someone up
the bands from a lower band like 144 MHz, or by making a sked somehow,
either before or during the contest. Many times I've sat and waited for a
station I could hear to swing his beam toward me so he could hear me.
Sometimes it happens but more often it doesn't. An opening to a given area
may only last a few minutes. Allowing assistance would at least let you
tell someone you're hearing "Hey, I'm here!"

If you've never operated in a VHF+ contest on any other band but 50 MHz,
you have no idea how frustrating it can be to miss out over and over, and
yet so rewarding when you do make a contact.

73, Zack W9SZ