Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying

To: oe1ems@emssolutions.at
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC2018 Qualifying
From: Tiberiu Tebeica <tebeica@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 17:45:06 +0200
Braco,

I am glad you raised the ball regarding the number of qualifying spots for
Balkan region. I will repost here my email sent to WRTC2018 mailing list, since
it seems it was not approved by the moderators.

—

Hello,

I’ve been extremely surprised to see a curiously high discrepancy in the number
of available qualifying spots assigned for area EU#1 (Northern EU) and EU#5
(Balkan area). Although I didn’t do an in-depth analysis, I feel that both of
these areas are extremely competitive (one can look at the previous WRTCs
qualifying scores in these areas), both have generally a similar number of
countries, ham radio density, number of stations in top results, etc.

For some reason, the Committee decides to grant 5 spots to EU#1, an area
consisting mostly of ES, LY, YL, OH, LA, SM, OZ, and only 3 spots for EU#5, an
area that includes S5, 9A, 4O, YU, E7, YO, LZ, SV (I deliberately left aside
smaller countries like JW, OY, ZA, Z3, etc. that were not represented in the
past WRTCs etc.)

I’d be curious to know what is the rationale behind this situation. Why
contesters from similar areas in many terms get such different qualifying
opportunities?

Thank you,
Tibi YO9GZU
===