Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: WRTC 18 Qualifying

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: WRTC 18 Qualifying
From: Mats Strandberg <sm6lrr@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 22:40:12 +0300
ARRL used to be an exciting contest when US casual activity was higher and
conditions better to Europe (I do not mean EI, F and G). We talk back in
1980 and 1990. Nowdays, the casual activity from the US makes Run from
Europe and Asia very limited, except for the biggest guns.

As Igor UA9CDC pointed out, ARRL can be a very sleepy exercise for stations
in North Europe, the Baltics, European and Asiatic Russia.  No rates, too
few North American stations in S&P mode, just the big US guns running.

I have been operating RDXC three times seriously from SK3W in the past 5-6
years (M2) and RDXC is far more interesting than IARU, with better activity
in Europe and Asia for sure. Rates are good, complexity in exchanges
challenging enough, Actually a lot more exciting than exchanging
predictable ITU zones and HQ multipliers.

One can always debate if RDXC should have more points than IARU, and I
think noone would be disappointed if it had 950 (same as IARU), but now
German organizers determined that RDXC is competitive enough to motivate 50
more points than IARU. As simple as that. They decide.

To compare ARRL with RDXC for those who seriously have worked both contests
is hard. Rates in ARRL are for sure excellent for Caribbean stations
working North America, and for a few other big guns located in nice
locations in North Africa and the very western part of Europe. But for us
others, ARRL is certainly a contest that should not have the same amount of
points as a worldwide contest like RDXC. That some nations for some reasons
have not shown interest in RDXC as  WW contest is another cup of tea... For
me as a European, I definitely rate RDXC as one of the most challenging and
most interesting WW contests. More interesting than WPX where basicaly
every unique station is a mult. However, I miss American participation and
that is why yagis rather point east than west. If US activity was higher,
be sure people would turn antennas that way in RDXC.

I think the question that really is important, despite what Yury VE3DZ
said... is if Assisted and Non Assisted should be awarded equally.  And few
seem to realize that this has implications of future contesting with a much
higher importance than 50 points more or less for RDXC. What amazes me is
that top contesters claim that discussion "endless and useless". It
certainly is everything but useless in my understanding.

73 de Mats SM6LRR (RM2D)