[CQ-Contest] Life (and WRTC qualification) ain't fair

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Life (and WRTC qualification) ain't fair
From: Hank Greeb <hgreeb@one.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:19:14 -0500
I personally know that, when I go out for a Michigan or Ohio State QSO Party, and stumble across a site which has 50 to 100' HAAT at ground level in at least 3 directions, my 40' portable mast and wire antenna will do MUCH MUCH better than at home or at a lower portable location. It certainly doesn't hurt to find a county where there hasn't been a fixed station entry in the past 2 or 3 years. Under such conditions, even a dolt operator like me has won the QRP arena of both MiQP and OHQP. I'm sure I couldn't have held a candle to the much higher scores in the category when K8DD and W8MJ and others would decide to have a "Battle of the QRP stations" in the MiQP with their much larger antennae, etc.

So the complaints about "it ain't fair" have a very true basis. BUT, it seems to me that there "Aint no way" that there can be a level playing field, with operating skill as the only variable.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of thet ime