Re: [CQ-Contest] No advantage to assisted?

To: <Cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No advantage to assisted?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 10:15:07 -0600
Hi Bill,

Isn't that a bit like saying it's impossible to have just come across your
pileup by tuning? Were you hidden in some deep, dark corner of the band? Was
there some mysterious phenomenon that would have made your pileup invisible
to a band scope?

Does that mean every unassisted operator must never join a big pileup for
fear of being a suspected cheat?

The plural of anecdote is not data. K1TTT, IIRC, had some interesting
analyses that may come closer to proof, but I'm not sure I'd stake a
defamation lawsuit on it.

Was there no such thing as an operator with a nose for mults doing very well
in the days before spotting?

It just seems to me that some operators are so gripped by paranoia that I
can't imagine they're having fun doing this anymore. To me, if a hobby isn't
enjoyable, it isn't worth it.

73, kelly
ve4xt