Re: [CQ-Contest] The Insanity of Cut Numbers in Serial NumberContests

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Insanity of Cut Numbers in Serial NumberContests
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:06:35 -0800
On Tue,12/16/2014 7:48 AM, Yuri wrote:
Not being a fan of cut numbers myself, I think that good ops know how to copy any numbers.

Hi Yuri,

Letters are NOT numbers. Further, go back and read the posts noting that CW numbers are DESIGNED to be easy to copy under difficult conditions. We can miss hearing part of a character due to QSB or a static crash and still copy a NUMBER because of the spacing. The turkeys using cut numbers are often sending faster than they should given conditions -- Arctic flutter, weak signals, and so on.

73, Jim K9YC