[CQ-Contest] Why not work dupes?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why not work dupes?
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:38:22 -0400
ARGH ! Just experienced this frustration this morning.

Playing in the 9A CW contest.  Nothing even remotely serious, however as I
S&P'd up the band trying "ESM" for the first time in N1MM+

I came across a moderately well known central EU guy I had not worked before
and he said "QSO B4" and I said "NO NO" and he said

"YES YES YES, " and I said "NO" and he said "I was your QSO # 4", so I said
"NO" and he said "SRI"..

Now, normally I wouldn't have bothered one bit and moved on after the first
QSO B4, but I was just trying ESM out for the first time and not at all
serious, (I only had perhaps 10 Q's at this point) so I just sent "73 73"
(got a nice 73 and GL back) and moved along making another dozen Q's before
lunch.  I'll likely have <100 Q's by the time the contest is over.

So, I double checked the 9A contest rules and I don't see DUPES mentioned.
(do any contests still penalize you for working dupes since the computer was
invented so many decades ago?)

Like I said, normally I wouldn't have wasted the time, but I am not serious
in this one, so, I missed a QSO and buddy in central EU will get dinged for
2 QSO's the way I see.  The other VE9 he apparently worked, but busted his
callsign, and my missing QSO as he flatly refused to work me.

What gives>?

Is it some holdover by ancient OF's who always do/did paper logging and
cannot get a grip on modern reality?

I have to know.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey