Re: [CQ-Contest] Mailing Certificates

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Mailing Certificates
From: Alan Dewey via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 07:40:23 -0500
I applaud the adding of the "Receive Certificate" field to the Cabrillo
file.

I think this is a much better idea than moving to on-line printable
certificates altogether.  Receiving a certificate in the mail is still a  very
motivating factor for many contesters - especially newer contesters.   It's a
much different experience than going to a Web Site and downloading  one.  On
the other hand, if you operate many contests a year and have a  whole folder
full of certificates, getting another one in the mail may not be  very
important to you.

It is true that the cost of mailing certificates has been a factor in
adding new categories to ARRL contests in the past.  But it is certainly  not
the only factor.  Diluting of competition has probably been a bigger  factor
when considering the addition of new categorizes than the cost  of mailing
certificates.

The opportunity to opt our of receiving a mailed certificates seems to be a
 very pragmatic solution.  I am glad to see the Cabrillo will support it
now.

73,

Al, K0AD

In a message dated 2/1/2015 9:27:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,