Re: [CQ-Contest] My experience applying for a 1X2 call, HELP!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] My experience applying for a 1X2 call, HELP!
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 18:37:38 -0300
Kent,

While having a 1x2 callsign may be the holy grail in the USA for some
reason, it won't double or triple your contest scores. Faaaar from it. Let
me explain. (I feel long winded today)

If someone did an analysis I would bet there would be such a small advantage
as to nearly be incalculable. (it does make folks feel good however, I'll
give them that)

That said.are you a SSB operator , a RTTY op or a CW op?  If SSB and RTTY,
your call is pretty good.

If CW, well, I have heard better but yours is not bad.

If you do primarily CW, why don't you look for something a titch better
waiting out the 1x2 call? K6EEE, K6TTT, K6DXX, N6XDX, N6ZAP, K6POP, that
type of thing.

There are also 2x1 calls to consider too.  WC6H, KE6K, NX6T, AE6Y,  Having
your call recognizable is MUCH more important than

having a short call (IMO).  There are EU's, USA guys, Canadians etc. that I
have worked 100 times that have long calls.

More often than not, once I hear a few letters in, I can guess what's
coming.

CONVERSLY, there are a lots and lots of 1x2 calls out there and I pretty
much have to wait for all (and100% cfm) all 4 characters to get to me before
I finish typing and am 100% sure of who I worked.

Think about how many W4 or W6 2-letter suffixes there must be? IE: You
already know they're already all being used, right? DXers and Contesters
snatch up most of them.

How many of them are almost identical?  How many busted calls must these
produce?  I'd like to see the LCR's from lots of W4's & W6's (2 letter guys)
and compare them to some more well known guys with longer, but unique or
very active calls.  That would be an interesting exercise.

Who hasn't worked WB6JJJ and known pretty much 95% after the WB6J, that
another JJ was coming?

N6ZFO.I am nearly sure after hearing N6ZF that an O is the last letter.

VE9A..uh, yeah, you know it, another A is coming and that's it. (it's me)

VE9D...yup, an X is coming and it's Andy, VE9DX who everyone reading this
message has worked.

I think you see the picture.  Better to be known than have a short call.

I don't recognize your call, so that tells me we "probably" haven't worked
many times (or maybe once/twice?) in the last ~5 yrs.

I see no 3830 reports for K6DKO...get them in there !

In the CQP, yes, having a non-6 call will hurt you....but conversely, K9YC
is very active and I have my brain already programmed that he's in CAL.

Get out there and get busy !...any serious contester banks 1000 calls in his
head from around the world.  It's the best super check partial there is.
You don't even need to fumble with the keyboard.

Get your call KNOWN.

GL !

Mike VE9AA

Hi all

I am new to the group.

I have been applying for 1X2 calls for over a year. All the calls I have

applied for have been 6 calls (because I live in CA). I have lost in

competition every time.

I am considering changing my strategy. I may apply for calls from other

areas. I have some questions about using a different call area # from CA.

1. Does this put me at a disadvantage, or give me an advantage in a

contest? Why?

2. During the California QSO Party, does this put me at a disadvantage

while calling CQ CQP?

3. Is there something I am not thinking of??

Thanks

73

Kent

K6DKO