Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - Proposed rule changes.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW - Proposed rule changes.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 11:50:25 -0700

I never said anything about CW decoders, and for the record I am completely against their use in unassisted categories.

Regarding waterfalls and panadapters, they are indeed a visual aid for finding a frequency but they have been around for a very long time and I personally find them to be considerably less "assistance" than I do SCP and Call History files (both of which offer assistance during the contest that was gathered outside the contest). I don't use either SCP or Call History files when operating unassisted. I have, however, on occasion used an audio-passband-only waterfall as a visual aid ... but all of the decoding was done strictly within my brain. In the case of the passband waterfall I even checked in advance with then-members of the CQ Contest Committee and got no argument from them for it's use.

I see no logical argument that mentally decoding CW must be limited to the audio path to my brain ... visual (from a single signal waterfall) is actually more difficult and if I wanted to place my fingertips on a speaker for a tactile path to my brain I don't see how that would be objectionable either. I still have to do all the work. So no, I do not agree that "radio contesting is an audio competition", and until I see it stated so (in some form or other) by the contest organizers it is not "a fact" and we simply will have different opinions on the matter.

To your last point, I have ALWAYS followed the rules as they were written. Where the written rules were not clear I have always tried to follow what I believed to be the intent of the rules. Please don't assume that I do otherwise. I emphatically disagree with the fellow who regularly posts here something to the effect that "anything not specifically prohibited by the rules is mandatory."

Dave   AB7E