Re: [CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting

To: <sawyered@earthlink.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting
From: "Don Butler" <n5lz@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 12:32:42 -0600
I personally think that self spotting, or any kind of spotting for that
matter, will have minimal, if any impact during VHF contests.  A spot made
by a station a few miles away can possibly help me, but if the spotter is 50
or more miles away it's not likely to be helpful.  Propagation, especially
Es, is so selective and continually changing that most active stations will
end up working everything they can copy ...  whether they are spotted or not
spotted.  My ARRL June VHF entries over the past few years have all been
Multi Op ... because I have chosen to take advantage of assistance .... but
I'm not talking about spots.  Instead, I monitor DX Sherlock to see where
any Es clouds might be hovering .... and that often serves as an alert to
openings that are likely to pop out of the noise.

Don, N5LZ