Re: [CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting

To: k9yc@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] VHF Contest - Self Spotting
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 21:07:33 -0400
Lots of great comments here.  No "wrong" opinions.

We all see the value of this experiment differently.  Yes, a spot from a
guy 150 miles away not be of help to a small station on 6 meters... but
that same guy spotting would be very valuable to people on 2, 222, 432,
1.2, 3.4, 5.6 and even 10 GHz!  On those bands, knowing WHERE you might
point your antenna is very important.  In any given VHF contest, I bet 25%
of QSOs are missed because antennas were pointing past each other.  This is
not the case on HF.  On HF, many people hear stations.  Above 50 MHz,
people might not even point their antenna your way UNLESS you spot.
Completely different scenarios.

Six is more like HF -- if Es or F2 happens, lots of people hear the
stations, and spot them.

That said, see you from the Mountaintop -- W2SZ, Mt. Greylock, MA --
FN32jp, 6m though 24 GHz.

73, Gerry W1VE
check out http://roverstatus.info