Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:08:50 -0700
On Thu,6/25/2015 1:25 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
But... many of us live in older houses, with iffy wiring and long distances among entrances of various services, making the sort of bonding you call for a major undertaking.

Hi Pete,

You're confused between bonding within the station and bonding for lightning safety as required by Electrical building codes. The bonding between grounded objects and entrances of wiring is REQUIRED BY LAW. I had exactly such an old house in Chicago. Our shack "ground" MUST, BY LAW, be bonded to those grounds. To not do it is unsafe. The minimum requirement is via the Green wire in the AC power system. Better (for lightning safety) to run a perimeter ground to connect those separated grounds .

By comparison, a couple of 5-buck isolation transformers make a lot of sense for the particular purpose Ed described.

Power distribution and bonding inside the shack is what eliminates the need for audio transformers.

73, Jim K9YC