Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ

To: "'W0MU'" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Bravo - CQ
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:10:18 -0400
With the caveat that in no way, shape, or form do I condone what was done or
cheating of any sort...

I don't agree in principle with a lifetime ban for a... well, clearly not a
first offense in retrospect, but saying a "first conviction" would be a bit
too much.

A 5 year ban (which is what this effectively is) from competitively
participating in any CQ contest is a harsh punishment... and based on the
evidence, merited.

Let him serve his time, so to speak.

What then?

I think it should go without saying that he'll effectively be on "probation"
(ie extra-ordinary levels of scrutiny) for years after that, assuming that
he does ever return to competitive operating in the CQ contests.  And
obviously, there is a high probability that other contest sponsors will do
the same during the 5 years, and after, as well.

With that in mind, if he shows that he hasn't learned his lesson... then
(IMHO) we should start discussing harsher sanctions, up to and including a
ban for life.

I'm not opposed to it.  I just am enough of an optimist (despite my years on
many email reflectors) that I'm willing to give him one chance to redeem
himself.

But only one.

73, ron w3wn