Re: [CQ-Contest] Two Towers, Two Tribanders - Coax Length for Stack Matc

To: Richard Thorne <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Two Towers, Two Tribanders - Coax Length for Stack Match?
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 13:27:30 -0400
Rich,

As I am sure you are aware, if the two antennas/arrays are in phase the field
strengths add and if out of phase subtract.  Feed line length is only half of
the question in regards to phase.  The distance between the towers, the
direction of interest and relative positions of the towers in azimuth have just
as much effect.

If the antennas have good directivity and are pointed in different directions
where the patterns don't overlap, then none of this really matters.

I do a lot of multi-direction spraying at K8CC, but how I do it differs.  I
have a 2-stack on 20M plus a fixed SE yagi on another tower, a 3-stack on 15M
plus a fixed SE yagi, but on 10M I just have  3-stack.  In a DX contest where I
might try to spray towards different continents and I'm concerned about phase I
just use the stack aimed in different directions.  But in SS where I like to
spray everywhere I'll aim the stacks W/NW and SW and on 20M/15M I'll rig up an
uneven power splitter with some coax and add the fixed SE into the system. (I
use an uneven split to ensure most of the power goes to the stack, which is
aimed in the primary direction of interest.). On 10M where I don't have a fixed
SE yagi, I just spray the 3-stack NW/SW/SE.  It all works very well.

73, Dave/K8CC

Sent from my iPhone