Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting uniques

To: "'Charles Harpole'" <hs0zcw@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Counting uniques
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:47:04 -0000
I think you are overestimating the number of uniques that are worked during a
contest.

In CQ WW SSB 2014, your multi-single entry as E2E had 2432 QSOs after log
checking.  Of those, 17 were uniques. (0.6%)

In your entry as HS0ZCW in WW SSB 2013, you had 649 QSOs after checking and 4
were uniques. (0.6%)

Obviously, other contests with less activity may have different percentages.  I
can tell you that your unique percentages are not unusual.  Any rule that
removed uniques for everyone would likely shift all of the scores in a similar
amount and would mostly hurt those operators that make more errors.

The CQ WW is a global contest that does pay attention to the opinions from all
parts of the world. Changes are often difficult for long time participants to
accept.

Randy K5ZD