Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: "'Leigh S. Jones, KR6X'" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: "Juan EA5RS" <ea5rs@ono.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 00:15:01 +0200
>> (KR6X) I can confirm that quite often the source of trouble is not in the
front end nor finals of the rigs.  It can indeed be elsewhere.

I second Leigh's statement. Receiver overload and harmonics interference are
the easy ones to cure with bandpass filters and/or stubs.

In a typical Multi op environment you are flooding (W3LPL terminology) the
environment near your antennas with high level RF energy while trying to
copy signals at -130 dBm on other (or same) band, and anything that can
rectify YOUR OWN TX signal can raise the noise floor in almost the whole HF
spectrum, although it will normally be worse on your harmonics.

The interference sources can be VERY BIZARRE. In my case, a single tower
with antennas for the 6 HF bands -the very same tower being the 160m
radiator-, the worst interference source was not any "self-interference",
but that coming from rectification in my neighbour's phone-line/ADSL modem.
Nothing you do at your station (except reducing your TX power by a GREAT
margin) can cure this type of interference. The interference level and
spectrum signature was variable depending on whether the ADSL TX was on or
off depending on ADSL-PPoE protocol status. Easy to tell now, but it took me
literally years to find that out.

73
Juan EA5RS