[CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at CQWW

To: CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests
From: Fernando PY2LED <py2led@fuertesind.com.br>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 21:21:13 -0200
Hello Dear Contesters, good day!

I was analyzing results from CQWW, CQWPX and in some categories we can see some
nice records made by stations located in the Caribean Islands. Some of this
islands counts like South America.

It is extremelly difficult or impossible to beat their scores from South of
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguai, Paraguai and other south countries due to the big
distances to the main countries lime USA and some European countries. Also
during the main contests, we have only one station (one multiplier) in some of
this islands like Bonaire, Aruba etc and everybody will try the qso.

I would like to understand if's there an explanation or criteria why they are
located in South America for this contests. When we go to some Geography books,
some autors gives reason why they don't include such islands at South America
and they do like Caribean islands.

Maybe this example applies to other parts of the world.  Why not to create an
Islands Category or Central America or so?

Would like to share and listen opinions about this issue.

Many thanks and best 73's