[CQ-Contest] Is it fun any more?

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Is it fun any more?
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 15:55:17 -0500
I asked here "Are we about to see the end of rare Sections in SS?"

I prompted a comment from K3PA (whom I met at a PVRC-FRC Joint Meeting,
longer ago that we'd like to admit).  Drew's feelings match a lot of mine.

I also got an off-reflector response that said (keeping private
communication anonymous):

"[Paraphrase by K3KU -- Remote operation technology and lots of money could
make Heard Island as rare as Germany.]

"What has our hobby gained?

"I am also amused (not in a positive manner) by all the banter of being
allowed to send our calls on CW during an SSB contest because the skimmers
'don't do SSB'.

"Don't get me started on packet/RBN's/Internet spotting."

Well, Anonymous Friend, a long time ago I said "Packet has ruined ham
radio," and that was before the internet and before RBN and skimmers.  All
this spotting has, to my mind, made the game very different from what I
learned and enjoyed as a youngster.

Then again, so has computer logging (and CAT and all the other station
automation).  And so did electronic keyers.  And directional antennas.  And
rotatory directional antennas.

But none of those later-listed things is quite as big a change as spotting
(in all it's evil forms).  The thing that is a little disappointing is that
some operators -- especially those who grew up having the internet -- don't
understand the difference.  ("Why didn't Johnny Dollar just use his cell
phone?")

I had a disheartening flash of the obvious a  couple of weeks ago.  Even
though I am strictly Class A, my improved performance in SS CW is probably
the result more of spotting technology (and the equally evil Call History
Files) than of any improvements in my own skill.

Remote operation technology will probably improve my scores, but that, too,
makes the game so much different.

I would not try to stop the "advance" of technology, nor its application to
contesting.  If you think it's more fun with all the new technology, then
enjoy!  You are not hurting anybody. For myself, I'll constantly reevaluate
how much fun I am having in contesting.  If technology improvements reduce
my enjoyment of the sport enough, I'll find something else to do.

Happily, SS CW is still a lot of fun for me.  There are still some rare
sections.  With the loss of KO7X, who will you work for WY? (Western
stations need not reply.)  Will you manage to get NL or VI or PR? (Eastern
stations need not reply.)  Will you nab NE this year?  Will there be a
surprise rarity -- one year it was SB; another year, SFL.  Can I hit a new
personal high in QSOs?  We'll see, we'll see.

CU SS

73, Art  # A K3KU 60 MDC
Tune for Maximum Fun