Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America
From: py2led@fuertesind.com.br
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 21:00:03 -0200

Hello Luc et all, Good evening!

PW7T efforts is a very good
example for this issue, and I agree we have to keep trying and investing
against ourselves. We are doing this there since we started in 2013.

At 10m and 15m we have good chances depending on the cycle. In 2014,
PX2A wins SOSBHP 10m at CQWWCW and PX2B took 2nd place at CQWWSSB same
category. But all of we knows that if other stations from the Golden
Circle join the same category, they can eventually do the same or
eventually better. Did you saw what happened this year at 10m band
SOSBHP?? First place from the Golden Circle (we recognize that is an
excelent and well constructed and positioned station) make more than
6000 QSOS....amazing! But at same time, from other areas, you can´t do.
How to equalize this chances? ZL´s, VK´s, etc etc.???

But you know
very well that is near impossible to us from the South of Brazil ( to
achieve the same scores on 160/80/40/20 meters you can do from the
extreme North of the country.

Brazilian territory is like a continent
and we are talking about a big distance from Sao Paulo city (Sao Paulo
state) where we are around 1000 miles (1500~1600 kilometers) South of
Fortaleza city(Ceara State).

PX2A Coordinates: Latitude: -23.794584
(23° 47' 40'' S) / Longitude: -46.438510 (46° 26' 18'' W)

PW7T
Coordinates: Latitude: -3.71839 (3° 43′ 6″) / Longitude: -38.5434 (38°
32′ 36″ W)

So, we can include Ceara and few other Brazilian states from
the North as part of the Golden Circle (nice term from Ed).

Regarding
our chairs, we are doing the best efforts to teach young people and
bringing the best operators available and constructing our antenas using
modern projects available. Regarding radios, the best ones (Icom´s,
Yaesu´s, Elekraft´s etc. Amplifiers, we also are trying to have the best
ones (ACOM´s/OM´s/ALPHA´s/ENTROM´s etc), looking for the best lifespan,
low maintenance and respecting our full legal limit.

Examples/discussions like this helps a lot all of us to understand and
think better regarding this issue.

Many thanks,

Fernando / PY2LED

Em 09.11.2015 15:53, Luc DXBrasil escreveu:

> Although, I agree with
Fernando, that is the problem: how south is enough
> to be southern and
how north is enough to be northern?

> It was impossible to win a mult
op CQWW or CQWPX from Brazil - I mean
> mainland, until someone do it.
>

> As a general rule, location is the best asset on HF contest game. For
those
> who won't or can't move your station to a golden place, my
opinion is: keep
> doing your best effort against yourself, eventually
you will win, or not,
> but you gonna have a ton of fun in the
journey.

> In 7 years, doing our best to beat ourselves, PW7T Team
managed to win both
> CQWW and CQWPX and still holding the world record
for CQWPX CW M/2 from
> Brasil, mainland.
>
> You should start to think
wisely on how to beat caribeans islands and be
> there on top scores in
case north Africa or west Asia not be on your
> category, so eventually
you'll win the contest.

> A free tip to win from Brasil: invest on
good operators to fill up the
> chairs and better antennas and put less
money on power amplifier. Power
> isn't the solution, as few Brazilians
think.

> Don't let the power be with you!
>
> And welcome to the
game!

<sawyered@earthlink.net> escreveu:

>> Fernando, The short answer is
because these islands are in South America. Similarly, to PJ2T being in
S America and making it impossible for a Brazilian to win South America,
it is just as impossible for a US station to win North America over
8P5A, or for a European station to beat CR2X etc. Try and win Brazil as
a reasonable challenge as we try and win the US. And make sure your
clubs sponsor nice plaques for the winners of your country, as we do in

Links:
------
[1]